Buying a used car can be intimidating. What’s more, it can often involve a significant cash commitment without any guarantees. With so many things to consider, it can be an overwhelming experience.
Thankfully, there’s plenty of information out there to help you make the right decision and guide you step-by-step through the car selection process. Here are some of the key points for you to consider:
- Test drive it – Make sure you test the brakes and the steering at different speeds. Your drive should be smooth and comfortable.
- Make sure you test for leakage – Park the car and let it run for five minutes. There shouldn’t be any fluid spots on the ground. Also, try to sniff the leakage inside, or look for water-damage signs. A heavy perfume smell inside might indicate that the seller is trying to mask the mildew.
- Look for signs of repair inside and out – If the car has been in an accident, this needs to be disclosed. You need to be shown where the repairs have been made and if the car has been repaired according to regulations. Look for any paint that doesn’t match, or for miss-aligned panels.
- Conduct a mechanic inspection – Take the car to a trusted mechanic or dealership to make sure you get an objective opinion on the state of the car and any future repairs you might need to make. Trusted dealers and mechanics can also help you assess the price of the car.
- Check the car history – Request the car service history, which will give you an indication of how and where the car was serviced, including any repairs that have been done. Keep in mind that some cars are sold because of reoccurring problems.
Now that you have done your due diligence and checked the items on your list, it’s time to think about the “what if” scenarios when making your decision.
- What if your new car breaks down in a month? Hopefully, you had your car inspected and you were aware of the repairs coming up. But, if you don’t like surprises, look for a reputable car dealership that offers a warranty on used cars. At Universal Ford Lincoln, we offer a two-month or 4,000-km bumper-to-bumper warranty on used cars. See dealer for details.
We also provide a full AMVIC certified inspection that covers over 50 vehicle points. Undergoing this inspection takes a huge risk out of buying!
- What if you bought a vehicle that is not right for you? Don’t let anybody talk you into a ”great deal” or a vehicle that doesn’t meet your expectations. At Universal Ford Lincoln, our sales advisors are very knowledgeable about all vehicles we sell and their capabilities. We will take the time to find out about your needs and make recommendations accordingly. For example, if you need a vehicle that could tow 8,000 lbs, we would know exactly what type of vehicle to recommend. In other words, you won’t drive out of our lot with an Escape.
- What if there was a lien on the vehicle? At Universal Ford Lincoln, we offer fraud protection, including a guaranteed-no-lien on the vehicle. All your transactions will be safe and secure with us. Also, if you need financing, we have different options to accommodate your needs.
- What if the vehicle was in a previous accident and you didn’t know about it? Universal Ford Lincoln has a strict policy on full disclosure and transparency. We provide a CarProof report with every used car that includes the following:
- Accident and claim history
- Registration location history (Including USA)
- Guarantee that the odometer is showing the correct reading
- Assurance that all safety recalls are up to date
- What if you paid too much for the vehicle? At Universal Ford Lincoln, we take the guess work out of buying a vehicle. We do the research for you to make sure the vehicle you buy is priced competitively. We use powerful, live-market data available, surveying thousands of pre-owned websites across Canada. This ensures you receive real-time Market Pricing on every pre-owned vehicle we sell.
Buying a used car can be stressful. At Universal Ford Lincoln we do everything we can to make this a positive experience for you.